There's something nicely ironic about this gun turret by Nik Katsabas...the main component is an old fire alarm case. There are lots of secondary tips used in here too - such as the razor wire technique.
I started out with a fire alarm. We had one that just stopped working (which didn't exactly fill me with confidence) so I ripped into it figuring there'd be bits and pieces I could use. The cover lay on my desk for about a week until I caught sight of it about the same time as I was trying to figure out what to do with an old tank turret from some model I'd bought a while ago but never put together. I know a lot of this stuff isn't "found" but I had all of it from other scenery I've been working on and if you break down the cost of the individual items it comes out to around $20(CDN).
Putting the thing together was a snap, taking less than one night. First I glued the container to the top of the fire alarm then I painted the whole thing; black then dry-brushed silver. It's hard to see but there are windows cut from small card rectangles with slits cut into them. These are glued to the sides of the apple sauce container. After the paint dried I glued the turret to the top and painted it. Next the lentils, painted as well.
The posts for the fence were made from balsa wood cut to even pieces. I drilled small holes with a pin vice and hot glued (I suppose you could use white glue but I prefer the hot glue, messy as it can be) them in place on the underside of the alarm. Once they dried in place I painted them black and yellow and then continued the same theme on the "floor" of the fire alarm.
The part that took the longest was the fence. First I glued the fence to the outside of each post. After the fence dried I extended the tops using toothpick tips cut and glued at angles outward.
The next step was to spend 3 days looking for the best way to make razor wire. It came to me one morning after working WAY TOO LONG on another piece. Using scissors I cut along the length of the mesh material. Cutting this way along the length I wound up with several long (however long the roll happened to be) strands with small spicky bits sticking out that passed (at a distance) for a decent razor wire. Next I wrapped and glued the strands to the tooth pick ends.
The last thing I did was glue the whole thing to a piece of styrofoam and flocked it (the foam that is). I always mount the foam on cardboard. Filling in the holes from the cardboard is easy. I use a material called "Elmers Redi-Patch Lite, wall repair compound". This stuff is like Polyfilla except premixed and lightweight. I use an artists pallet knife to spread it.
The final step was to cut a small piece of card for the door. The door lock/handle is a wheel from the same tank kit as the turret. I dug out the foam and put in stairs, then glued some of the bricks in place.
Copyright & Credits
TerraGenesis was created in 1997 by Gary James and is currently owned, edited and maintained by Andy Slater, however the ideas and opinions expressed are those of the individual contributors. TerraGenesis and its content are © Andy Slater, unless otherwise stated, and should not be reproduced without permission.
The information published is correct to the best of our knowledge however we can accept no liability for errors. (Please let us know if you spot something.) Neither can we accept liability, but you can credit us if you like, for the results of any actions based upon the information. Modelers should use their own research, judgment and common sense when assessing the potential benefits and/or hazards of using any of the materials or technique described on these pages.
Trademarks of companies mentioned in these pages, have been used without permission. No challenge is intended to the status of these trademarks.