[subscribe]
Forums -> Off-Topics

My Most Favorite Nose Cone

A five inch 4:1 tangent ogive nose cone. I love nose cones, especially this one.

Tob with ogive nose cone.

I can talk about nose cones and other rocket parts all day. And given the opportunity, I will.

Ogive me a break, it's not that nice.

Ogive me a home, where the buffalo roam.

Ogive it a rest Tob, your singing career died long ago.

You should donate it. T'ogive is better than to receive.

Did it ever get attached to a rocket, or ever get launched?

pendrake said:

Did it ever get attached to a rocket, or ever get launched?

That particular one is just in stock. But I have put a few into the tropo. I have also put a couple some number of meters into the earth. Deployment failure is a mighty expensive way to dig a small but deep hole.

I always wanted to make an over the shoulder model rocket launcher out of a mailing tube like a bazooka. Anyone ever.do that?

No, but I've considered making a PVC bottle-rocket launcher that resembles such a thing. Sort of a light/drop/aim/launch contraption. Figured I'd put some sort of small blast screen on it, that way my wife can launch bottle rockets without setting herself alight.

(She has hand-launched ONE bottle rocket in her entire life, and of course a bit of wick landed on her shirt and burned a small hole.) Brick wall

That's why I always launch bottle rockets while naked. Don't burn my cloths that way. And all the alcohol I drank ahead of time blocks the pain of any sparks on my skin.

The privilege of having any BATFE licenses and permits will be revoked from any holder contributing to the misuse of any regulated materials. These materials include rocket motors and fireworks, so in the interest of safety and my own indemnity, I have to make a few comments here.

cprljohnivey said:

I always wanted to make an over the shoulder model rocket launcher out of a mailing tube like a bazooka.

Don't do it. Model rockets are designed to go UP, not sideways. Fins are not airfoils; they provide restorative force, not lift. Being as a model rocket can't sit in a horizontal attitude due to its fins, it can't exit a tube at an appropriate attitude.

The other downside to this idea is that this qualifies as an intentional misuse of a rocket motor, which thanks to 9/11 and The Patriot Act is now a very serious terrorism offense. Unless you're up for a free vacation at the lovely Guantanamo Bay resort, don't even think about it.

Ambience327 said:

I've considered making a PVC bottle-rocket launcher that resembles such a thing... that way my wife can launch bottle rockets without setting herself alight.

Again, don't do this. Bottle rockets are meant to go UP, not sideways. If you and your wife would like to light fireworks without getting burnt, follow the proper instructions on the fireworks label. In the case of bottle rockets, "place rocket in a wooden trough or iron pipe at a 75 degree angle pointing away from people or flammable material. DO NOT HOLD IN HAND. Light fuse and get away."

Fireworks must always be lit properly with a punk, fusee, or slowmatch, never a cigarette lighter, torch, matches or candles. Following these guidelines greatly reduces the risk of injury or burns from fireworks.

===============

To reiterate: I am not trying to be some jerky tool here, I am trying to cover my @$$ because I can lose all my explosive licenses and permits at the drop of a hat if I do not tow the party line vehemently. I HAVE to be the big safety guy at all times in order to maintain the privileges of having such dangerous fun. Please understand that I am not trying to start a flame war, be a buzz kill, or be a hater, and as such, let me offer this alternative:

Pneumatic Shoulder-Mount Launcher. In a nutshell: Build a tank out of 2" PVC with a Schrader (tire) valve on one end and a 1/2" or 3/4" ball valve on the other. Attach a 3 foot PVC tube (the barrel) to the ball valve. Stuff a potato or apple slug down the barrel and charge the tank to 50psi. Place device on shoulder, open ball valve, watch potato slug travel 50 yards.

The advantages to this toy being no fire or explosives, uses the same materials and technology, and I don't get into trouble if you kill or injure yourself. PM or email me for manufacturing details.

Please delete my posts.... Just some drunken redneck fun but don't want to get any one hurt or in trouble. That is unless its videotaped for AFHV..... Just kidding

I made one. It was simple and awesome. It was a 2 inch x 4 foot pvc pipe with one end cap. We launched cheap bottle rockets at a 45° angle . More of a mortar than a bazooka.

The effect was: Air compression at launch, causing longer range. It also makes a hollow "thump" sound when leaving the tube.

This should be legal.., all we did was make a large plastic bottle.

Forums -> Off-Topics