Transformable Hexagonal Mosque by asdel

A lovely bit of scenery which even taught us some maths skills!

Necromunda Sub-Pen/Sump/Skimmer Pad by djmothra

Not my best work, especially the Skimmer side which I'm not happy with at all - my own fault for starting late I suppose. I'm reasonably happy with the water effects on the other side though.

Desert Mound or Missile Base? by TheDreamer

This is a great little build, use of an old disused Diskette box for scenery. I'd have liked a little more detail inside though - blast warning signs or something Smile

Not much, but hopefully others can chime in with their feedback. Good luck everyone.

Mine. I'd used black pigments to do the smoke stains on the interior of the ruined structure, and it wanted to get everywhere. Oh so messy.

I like the viscous liquid in the pond, good color, giving the illusion of depth and noxious fumes. I think the skimmer pad is fine.

If I were to suggest anything, I'd suggest either photographing outdoors at sunset, if you can, or trying to edit the color levels according to this suggestion:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/1060 (Skip down about half way to the photo editing stuff. The Gimp, what I use, is free and offers the same functionality.)

Basically, it stretches the color out to from all the way white to all the way black. The pictures might have a better dynamic range, reduce the grayness from interior lighting.

I actually prefer the uncluttered, undirtied interior of the rocket luncher. Yet unfired. Or at least well maintained. It doesn't look 40K-like, but rather more modern. I also love the color scheme, perfect. The texture of sand next to with the rock is nicely done as well, but I wish the rocks themselves had a different shape. Perhaps a stratified look from pine bark or a fractured look from a mold.

@asdel that's exactly the kind of thing I need - my photo skills are not that great (and I only use my HTC Phone - it's a good one, but alas, still a phone) I have Gimp installed already - I'll try out this technique and upload the finished results on the WiP - I know its too late for the Comp.

Thanks Smile

Just a few thoughts on the entries. Get mine out of the way first.

Hurried. That sums it up. The shape of the rocks, the lack of detail and perhaps lack of weathering, it was a rush job to get the model finished in time.

I love the simplicity of this piece - just flip it over and it gives a completely different use/purpose. Why couldn't I think of that!!

This is going the opposite way - more complexity - the calculations to get the geometry right, cutting the angles to get the right construction. But at the end a very nice piece that is perfect for the gaming table.

Shame not many people entered this one, but I enjoyed the challenge of this - firstly coming up with a suitable idea and in my case the pressure to get it finished before the deadline. What's the saying...?

"Nothing like the 11th hour to get things done"

There were few choices, you will all medal, and I think they are all excellent work. It was hard to choose, particularly hard to set 2nd versus 3rd.

Hurried? for a hurry this turned out really well. If you had it to do over again leaving the missiles as a slip-in / slip out component would have been a thought. I ought to have suggested that. Embarassed That would let you show it partly fired, or totally expended...etc.

Simplicity. I was hoping the sub conning tower would be a little more complex/detailed. But I really like it / want to steal the idea. You executed all the phases as you had planned them and it turned out very good. And you have components that you can enhance later by adding more optional pieces.

This is a really nice build. Very much like the little crescent deal at the top.

TheDreamer said:

Shame not many people entered this one, [...] What's the saying...?

"Nothing like the 11th hour to get things done"

Consider me shamed, an idea popped into my head at about one week out, but I have been too depressed and beset and ... real life Brick wall Bah. Humbug.

Doppel Pond by Pendrake

The entry that did not happen... <...looks at scrap of unpainted plastic> Silenced

I had a concept, but this one just got away from me. I'm not sure I'll have anything for the next one either.

I'm really impressed by these 3 entries. The Theme was a real winner as well. I had lots of ideas , but didn't make anything.

My congratulations to the entrants all were equally deserving in my opinion and I had trouble voting. Thank you guys for entering and making these. I enjoyed the ideas as well as the execution.

Forums -> Convertible / Reversible Competition