Goto page 1, 2  Next
[subscribe]
Forums -> Competitions Overview

Ideas for Criteria (2013)

By my count there are two slots for a competition, and while I am not trying to chivvy anyone along, as I think that the effort of devising successful criteria is as important as the work entering the comp. I would like to see one, or more subjects that can be used “on table” as Wargame or Railway modelling terrain, rather than solely as a base for a diorama.

Thus, a building for wargames should allow the entry of “troops”, a house should allow figures to be placed inside, a drawbridge should open, or a defensive structure, should allow figures or vehicles to be placed on or within the feature, without tumbling over or balancing on the head of a pin. The feature should therefore be robust enough to withstand handling.

I would also like to see a competition showcasing a particular style of architecture, stone or half timbered walls, thatch or tiled roofs, a subterranean room, perhaps as part of a dungeon complex. There is also the possibility, though this may be limited in scope of restricting the model to a genre. Fantasy, Medieval, Roman or Contemporary. In this way people could showcase techniques for a particular type of structure.

rabbit

Some ideas for 'wargaming' terrain themed competitions:

Make a field fortification that can protect a small group (squad) of troops: prob 5-10 infantry or 1-2 vehicles. You have to specify what army your squad belong to and can use any materail such a squad could reasonable have acces to.

Pretend you are a comander of some unit, and you got orders to protect a bridge/pass/crossroad against 5 times as many enemies. You have to hold the place 2 days, then you can run.
Now go build some terrain where your troops would like to settle in.

Weather it!

Give your terrain piece that extra weathering wether from dust, stains, dirt, flaking paint, moss, algae.

As criteria it can be applied to all gaming types (exept Infinity off course)

Watch towers and Observation Points - Useful in any military context, but also consider fire towers.

Beacons and Signal Towers - A signaling mechanism such a a radio tower, a light house.

Destroyed by Magic/Ubertech/carpet bombing/??? - Model a piece of terrain destroyed by a specific effect. We've seen lots of ruins, so the point to really show the destructive power of a specific effect. A bridge destroyed by Warp Stone magic, with warped or melted bricks. A building destroyed by a vortex grenade with neat, perfect spheres taken out of out (al la the opening scenes from Terminator II with a hole taken out of the corner of the garbage truck.) A building destroyed by bombs, with a row of craters. You should be able to look at the project and say, "oh it was destroyed by this"

Rainbow bunnies on tartan rugs.

Andy's recent quote of the year entry would also make an interesting modeling challenge.

Tob said:

... Andy's recent quote of the year entry would also make an interesting modeling challenge...

QotY ?? Confused What did I miss?

Edit: I'd like to see the original context where AJS said something about tartan rugs and bunnies.

Some New [?] ideas:

Screenshot

Snap a picture of a building or a vignette or terrain object from a computer game, and then build a close replica of it.

Multi-Scale

Make something that works in two different model scales. One of the final photos should show the piece with two models from different games/size scales.

What Laws of Physics? - Create something that is impossible without violating the laws of physics by magic, advanced science, or simple GM fiat.
Examples; floating rocks, a sphere of water hovering in midair...

Last Stand - Rourke's Drift, The Alamo, Horatius At The Bridge, Leonidas and the Three Hundred... All of these invoke the image of a desperate battle against incredible odds with no surrender, no retreat, only victory or death (or both, perhaps...).
Create a terrain piece representative of this same concept.
Examples include a bridge with one side destroyed and the other end barricaded; a fortification on the edge of a cliff; a battleground in a box canyon or bottleneck...

pendrake said:

Screenshot

Snap a picture of a building or a vignette or terrain object from a computer game, and then build a close replica of it.

The old Playstation game 'Final Fantasy tactics would be GREAT for this project (or any similar game), since it uses battle maps and square-based movement along with hight measurement, so a battle map could be picked and then applied simply by deciding how large an area one square in the game needs to be equal to on the terrain piece...
And it's got some cool maps/terrain that could be created... Thieves' Fort, Gariland Magic City, Sand Rat Cellar, Fort Zeakdon, Zerkile Falls, Goug Slums, Gogoland Execution Site, Gate of Lionel Castle... and those are just in the first two chapters of the game...

Play-Reset er... Re-playset?

Whatever the title; it's easy to come across old playsets that are broken or incomplete - flea markets, rummage sales, sometimes even our own garages and attics. The challenge would be to use an old playset as your starting base and give it new life in a new form by incorporating it into your terrain piece.

Fall

Autumn is coming to the Northern Hemisphere...but
Verb
Move downward, typically rapidly and freely without control, from a higher to a lower level.
Noun
An act of falling or collapsing; a sudden uncontrollable descent.
Synonyms
verb. drop - sink - go down - collapse - descend
noun. drop - autumn - downfall - decline - descent - tumble

Google images on this are awesome Dancing

Beginners Competition: A competition only for those of beginners rank. Get some new blood involved in the site and keep people like me from intimidating those who otherwise might be interested. Your first time competition can be a great bonding experience, so it would be a good way to introduce others to the community.

Make some other simple theme to give some impetus, like 1 square foot, hills, ruins, etc. so that it isn't completely open, but keep it restricted to those who's skills and confidence are still beginning.

turbomagnus said:

...a Front Lawn Competition to see who can build the best model front lawn...

Whereas this was originally mentioned in jest, this could be a good comp as it works across genre and scale. Dollhouse front yards, castle courtyards, parade grounds; maybe define it as "model a parcel of land directly in front of a building but not including the building". Or whatever.

I'd like to re-iterate my support for, once a year, having an 'unfinished project amnesty' competition, where we get to tackle the things that are currently partly-done and cluttering up the loft/basement/garage.

Perhaps, we have to post a shot of the thing with the date of the competition submission on it, just in case anyone is tempted to sneak in old photos of a finished item.

Actually, I'd love a "second chance" competition, where you can submit an entry that would have qualified for a competition that has already passed (maybe within the last year). I had an idea for the Reclaimed By Nature competition but didn't have time to tenter it while it was going on. A second chance comp would give me a reason to build that piece now. It would be cool, as each entry would be following a different set of restrictions. It might make judging it a little difficult, but I'll bet it would be fun. And I'll bet lots of folks would enter.

Red Orc said:

I'd like to re-iterate my support for, once a year, having an 'unfinished project amnesty' competition, where we get to tackle the things that are currently partly-done and cluttering up the loft/basement/garage.

Perhaps, we have to post a shot of the thing with the date of the competition submission on it, just in case anyone is tempted to sneak in old photos of a finished item.

The WiP threads have disappeared ---the most recent victims of the culling mechanism--- but we just did that one: Finishing Moves Contest circa early 2013

Munin said:

Actually, I'd love a "second chance" competition, where you can submit an entry that would have qualified for a competition that has already passed (maybe within the last year). I had an idea for the Reclaimed By Nature competition but didn't have time to tenter it while it was going on. A second chance comp would give me a reason to build that piece now. It would be cool, as each entry would be following a different set of restrictions. It might make judging it a little difficult, but I'll bet it would be fun. And I'll bet lots of folks would enter.

This is an interesting idea and it would be feasible if the post with the initial criteria was saved along with the finished entries. I suppose if it was limited to the previous 4 contests it would be workable.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
22 results in total.
[Reply]
Forums -> Competitions Overview